Assistant Language Directors are part of a community that creates an intensive four-week immersion program for middle and high school students each summer. Located on two campuses in Vermont, Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy offers students the opportunity to study Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, or Spanish with skilled language educators. The Assistant Language Director is a senior administrator, working in close consultation with the Language Director and the residential staff to implement the Academy curriculum, guidelines, and policies. With the Language Director and residential staff, they lead a team of experienced educators and residential advisors to create a unique immersion academic program.
At the Language Academy, students of five languages learn via a specially designed Summer Residential Academy Immersion Curriculum. All instructional staff are required to participate in pre-season curriculum training to understand the educational mission and vision and to master and implement the immersion curriculum by adopting and practicing the Middlebury Immersion Methodology. All staff and students adopt the Middlebury Language Pledge, modified as needed for the student age group and language level so that a full immersion environment is created.
The Assistant Language Director supports the Language Director and provides pedagogical support to the residential staff by working closely with the Dorm Head to facilitate the integration of academic and residential aspects. The Assistant Language Director is enthusiastic and supportive in providing strategies to staff that help students stay in the Language Pledge. The Assistant Language Director is proactive and can troubleshoot and work well with others to solve problems, with the goal of maintaining a high-quality summer language program. Assistant Language Directors may have some limited teaching responsibilities.
- Act as a master teacher for the residential staff in implementing the Summer Residential Academy Immersion Curriculum
- Create a community of learning by serving as a bridge between Academic Life and Residential Life.
- Learn and understand the Summer Residential Academy Immersion Curriculum by participating in pre-season curriculum training led by the Language Director.
- In conjunction with the Dorm Head, proactively coach the residential life staff in the vision and design of the program to successfully implement in residential life programming.
- Exhibit creativity, enthusiasm and respect for the Language Pledge and support the Dorm Head in coaching the RA team in effectively supporting the Language Pledge and implementing activities in language.
- Assist the Language Director in Academy planning, organization, and communication
- Assist Language Director in addressing academic violations utilizing appropriate interventions, strategies, and interpersonal skills in a timely and effective manner when working with parents, students and staff.
- Work efficiently with site administrators to solve problems and promote cohesion to ensure success of all aspects of the Academy.
- Assist with planning and execution of Academy events ensuring the events are organized and implemented effectively in collaboration with the Language Director and other site staff. Attend all Academy events and activities.
- Participate in academy programming.
- Work to continually maintain a high-quality summer Academy through interaction, participation and visibility throughout the program.
- Support the Language Pledge.
- Communicate professionally and effectively to parents, students and other staff.
- Provide meaningful feedback to students.
- Work with other faculty, staff, and site administrators to create a successful Academy.
- Complete evaluations, reports and other documentation in a timely manner.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge and utilization of the Academy policies and procedures to create a safe, supportive, rewarding environment for students and staff.